Cheers to the most satisfying and refreshing summer cocktail ever! We love Sangria and this recipe is probably the most balanced and tasty recipe yet! Sangria combines all the things that are loved in a cool pitcher of cocktails that can easily be made into batches and IF you have any left over – well – it just gets better for the next day.
Sangria is a Spanish cocktail made by blending wines with fruit and spices together to bring it to another level. The trick is to add the fruit, fruit juice and cinnamon stick with two bottles of wine in a sealed container the day before you will be drinking it so THINK AHEAD! It is drinkable immediately after you mix it but you really need to give the fruit and cinnamon stick time to macerate with the wine. It really does make a difference!
Two bottles of red Spanish wine-any type will do, the only rule is that you have to like the wine. If it’s a wine you don’t like, you won’t like to outcome. I mixed one bottle of Rioja(Tempranillo) and one bottle of Spanish Grenacha, a large cinnamon stick, slices of oranges, apples and 1-1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice. I added about 1 cup of Ruby Port, about 1/4 cup brandy or Armagnac, 1/2 cup of orange liqueur – I like Naranja – and simple syrup if needed or to taste. The dark fruit aromas and flavors along with the tannins combine with the fruit to produce a delicious cocktail. With all of the fruit added and a good bit of tannins from the Port as well as the wine there be a balance of all flavors. This creates a Sangria that is a great pairing with summertime fare such as grilled steak, smoked meats, refreshing salads and paella!
Refrigerate until the next day and voila! You have a beverage that goes with everything! This Sangria packs a punch! Top the pitcher or glass with a touch of sparkling water to balance out the concentration.
- 2 Bottles of Rioja (red Spanish wine) OR 1 bottle of Rioja and 1 Bottle of Grenacha
- 1 large or two small cinnamon sticks
- 1 large or two small apples sliced lengthwise
- 1 orange sliced into half moon shapes
- Juice from 2 oranges
- 1 cup Ruby Port
- ½ cup orange liqueur
- ¼ cup brandy or Armagnac
- Simple syrup (1:1 sugar water solution combined, boiled, cooled)
- 1 large container with lid
- Sparkling water to top
- Fresh mint sprigs
- 1 large pitcher
- In the large container with lid:
- Combine two bottles of red wine, cinnamon, orange and apple slices.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, pour into large pitcher.
- Add port, brandy, orange juice.
- Adjust for sweetness with a the simple syrup.
- If serving the whole pitcher, stir in a little sparkling water for fizz.
- Serve cold and over ice!