Get ready to fire up your grill for this irresistible pairing!
Gorgeous racks of lamb are seasoned with a glorious melange of Indian-inspired spices called VADOUVAN. The lamb is grilled to medium-rare and served with a salsa of artichokes,briny capers,savory olives,sun-dried tomatoes,lemon zest and topped with crushed Marcona Almonds and grilled lemon slices. The lamb is succulent and full of flavor and really pairs up well with Cultivate Wine’s California Merlot and Cabernet Saugvinon blend ~THE FEAST.
Vadouvan Melange(blend) is a delightful blend Indian Spices usually of curry, coriander , cumin, fenugreek, cardamon, cayenne and black peppers along with garlic and shallots.
Vadouvan Blend is the new trendy “it” ingredient made popular by TOP CHEF series. The ingredients of the blend varies depending on who is making it. Sometimes Vadouvan is referred to as French Curry. Search for recipes or it can be purchased at Williams-Sonoma.
Last Saturday,I created this lamb dish for a dinner on the deck with our friends. Along with the other dishes,it was a hit. And,paired with THE FEAST…well, it was just amazing!
THE FEAST by Cultivate Wines is an elegant blend of California Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon from the sub regions Napa, Carneros, Alexander Valley and the North Coast fashioned after the Merlot predominant blends of the Right Bank Bordeaux regions of France.
This red wine blend is immediately attractive with its alluring bouquet of roses,raspberry and spice with a hint of blueberry and black cherry on the nose as well as the palate. The velvety tannins and touch of oak lingers in your mouth. This Bordeaux-style wine is a classic pairing with lamb. The complexity of the robust spice-blend pairs up well with layers of this compelling wine.
The grilled lamb is succulent;crusty from the charred seasonings on the outside yet juicy and delicious with every bite. And,the Mediterranean-style salsa ingredients just pulls all the flavors together. This is definitely gourmet finger food!
- 3 racks of lamb
- olive oil
- chopped garlic
- Vadouvan Seasoning
- Ground Cumin (I LOVE CUMIN! and the combination of these spices produces an incredible crust on the lamb YUM!)
- lemon pepper-to taste
- Your favorite Garlic and Herb Seasoning blend-to taste
- 1 cup frozen artichokes-thawed
- ¾ cup of a blend of olives such as Moroccan Olives(pitted and sliced)***
- The bright green olive Castelvetrano and other green olives from your favorite olive bar. Use your favorites! Choose an array of colors for eye appeal!
- Be sure to reserve a few of the varieties for garnish
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ of purple onion
- zest from 1 lemon
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon of dried Thyme Leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried Oregano
- Sun-dried Tomatoes-a tablespoon or two *I use the marinated and seasoned and drain very well
- 1 tablespoon capers
- a dash of cumin
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh Cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh Mint leaves
- ½ cup of Marcona Almonds---crushed in a closed bag
- Lemon Slices tossed in a little olive oil,salt and pepper for grilling
- Extra Olives whole and sliced for garnish
- Rub and slather the lamb racks with olive oil and crushed garlic.
- Liberally season the lamb with the Vadouvan Seasoning and the other seasonings.
- Be sure to generously season the tops of the racks with ground pepper.
- I prepared these several hours ahead.
- Prepare the grill for medium to medium-high.
- Grill to medium-rare.
- Watch for flare ups due to the olive oil and fat.
- Grill the lemon slices along with the lamb until grill marks are visible. Remove and set aside to serve with the lamb.
- Coarsely process the artichokes,olives,onions,garlic,capers,cilantro,lemon juice and zest and seasonings.
- You might want to add the garlic and onions first,pulse a few times then
- pulse the artichoke hearts once or twice THEN add the other ingredients.
- Remember,the ingredients should be COARSE not a paste.
- Pour the olive oil in and pulse once or twice to incorporate.
- Season to taste with salt,pepper and your other favorite seasonings.
- Prepare salsa before you grill the lamb and let the flavors combine.
- Once the lamb are cooked,cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut lamb into individual "chops"
- Spoon salsa over lamb.
- Garnish with the crushed Marcona Almonds.
- Scatter serving platter with reserved olives and grilled lemon slices.
- Pair with THE FEAST!
This magnificent blend of Vadouvan was purchased at Williams-Sonoma. You may also search the internet for recipes. It is extremely versatile and is especially delicious with lamb dishes;try it with your favorite lamb meatball recipe!
THE FEAST by Cultivate Wines is about $28. Click here to check for availability in your area OR order online directly from the nice folks at Cultivate Wines.
Cultivate GIVES 10% of their profits for education and charities for the betterment of basic human needs.
Every time you purchase a bottle,you TOO participate in the give!