With the first sip, you will discover this is no ordinary Chardonnay!
What flavors come to mind when I say “Chardonnay?” Buttery? Oaky?
Mezzacorona 100% Chardonnay VIGNETI DELLE DOLOMITI IGT 2011 is a fresh,aromatic and virtually un-oaked Chardonnay vinified and cultivated from the foothills of the Dolomite Mountains in Italy.
Chardonnay is a grape grown and vinified all over the world and Italy is no exception.
Fresh fruit flavors and aromas of lemon and lime are front and center with this refreshing,youthful and food-friendly wine; no heavy flavors and aromas of oak masking the true character of this Italian grown grape. The crisp acidity reflects the terroir from the calcium and magnesium-rich Dolomites which makes it a perfect pairing for dishes of fish and shellfish. It’s just right for a light summertime meal.
Crisp and fruity white wines usually pair perfectly with seafood and shellfish. This cool seafood salad is no exception. Any time I have a chance to create a dish with mussels,clams and shrimp is a good time!
Recently,my friends gathered at my house for a delightful meal filled with a bounty of homemade Italian dishes. The seafood and shellfish were marinated with plenty of fresh lemon and olive oil dressing infused with herbs and garlic and paired with Mezzacorona Chardonnay.
Bellissimo! That’s Italian for Beautiful Pairing!
- 3 pounds fresh mussels,rinsed
- 12-20 fresh clams,rinsed
- 1 pound fresh shrimp,shelled and deveined
- 6 oz calamari-tubes(sliced) and tentacles
- 6 to 8 fresh scallops
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup Roasted Red pepper,chopped I used jarred peppers
- 4 garlic cloves,minced
- 3 lemons,juiced and zested
- A handful of chopped Cilantro or Italian Parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried Thyme and Oregano
- Greek seasoning,lemon pepper seasoning and garlic seasoning to taste
- Red Pepper flakes to taste
- Using your favorite steaming method,steam the seafood taking care not to overcook it. Drain and cool.
- I use a simple steaming basket that I bought for about $5 many years ago.
- While the seafood is cooling,make the dressing.
- Place all the seafood in a large bowl. Because there are so many mussel and clam shells,add the meat from the shells to the salad but discard about half of the mussel and clams shells.
- Toss with the dressing and chill until ready to serve.