Enjoy a COOL Pairing ~ Watermelon and Feta Salad with Arugula and Pickled Purple Onions Paired with GOOSE BUMP Wine from Sicily
“Goose Bump” in the sweltering heat of July?
You will get some with this cool pairing!
Take a break from the summer heat and enjoy this light meal and wine pairing.
It’s July and it’s hot! A cool Watermelon Feta Salad tossed with peppery arugula and fresh juicy blackberries scattered about is the perfect evening no-cook meal for my family. What better time of the year to use this season’s fresh bounty of juicy,sweet watermelon and transform it into a savory and satisfying light meal.
Sip Sicilian Sunshine!
Just in time for a perfect summertime pairing and celebrating the upcoming holiday, I found GOOSE BUMP Velvety Red 2010 Estate Bottled, a dazzling wine from Sicily,Italy. You will enjoy this jammy,fruit-filled wine featuring Nero D’Avola,the acclaimed indigenous black grape of Italy and a touch of rich Syrah and Merlot too! Nero D’Avola wines from Sicily are some of my favorite go-to wines. They are intense and powerful and reflect the hot summer sunshine and rocky terroir of this area of Italy.
Velvety tannins and a hint of spices linger in your mouth and are balanced with the delicate sweetness reminiscent of homemade blackberry jam with a few raspberries and strawberries thrown in for extra brightness and freshness. This balanced sweetness,intensity of fresh,very ripe berry flavors and aromas make a perfect pairing with the fresh Watermelon Feta salad with fresh,juicy blackberries.
Goose Bump Velvety Red 2010 brought to us by Prestige Wine Imports and Mezzacorona pairs well fresh berry cobblers as well as grilled meats drenched with intense and rich BBQ sauces too!
- 6 cups watermelon chunks (bite-sized)
- ½ cup good quality feta,crumbled
- 1 container arugula
- ½ cup thinly sliced Pickled purple onion rings
- (1 cup red wine vinegar,3 tablespoons sugar)
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- Balsamic Glaze
- sea salt;freshly ground black pepper
- handful of blackberries or any other berries
- For the Quick Pickled Onions: Add sliced onions to 1 cup red wine vinegar plus
- tablespoonfuls of sugar. Marinate for 20 min or longer until gently wilted but still crunchy
- For the basil oil:In a food processor,blend the basil and olive oil;blend.
- In a large bowl,GENTLY toss watermelon pieces,pickled onions,arugula.
- Divide salad among 4 to 6 plates.
- Liberally drizzle with Balsamic Glaze and Basil Oil.
- Finish with sea salt and pepper.