The “Southern Highway Whisky Cocktail” is Real Southern Hospitality with a Splash of Sass! Arctic Chill Ice Balls are the Key to Perfectly Chilled Cocktails!
Southern girls love their whisky cocktails!
Come on down the “Southern Highway” this weekend for a delightful cocktail that is delicious with a splash of sassiness just like us! There is something so delightful about a casual Sunday and hanging out with my friends in the South. We snack a little and sip on our handcrafted cocktails. This is “our” time to talk about our children & husbands, giggle about things we’ve done and make plans for fun trips during the summer. I’m always up to something! One of my projects for 2014 is to experiment with our favorite fresh ingredients and create a few tasty cocktails with our favorite ingredients and spirits for lazy Sunday afternoons!
The Southern Highway Cocktail and Ice Ball Makers from Arctic Chill
This is a refreshing cocktail! Just perfect for a Sunday brunch or any afternoon celebrating life with friends.
Our latest concoction got 5 stars!
We squeezed about 4 juicy ruby-red grapefruits, made fresh ginger simple syrup and added it to George Dickel Tennessee Sour Mash Whisky No. 12. This Tennessee whisky has so many complex layers of flavors its fun to see how adding other ingredients make the flavor notes stand out. The vanilla, smoke, and maple flavors become front and center with the sassy bite of ginger syrup-almost an exotic flavor. The bitterness of the grapefruit balances out the sweetness and depth of the whiskey while the citrus of the grapefruit creates a refreshing drink that is easy to sip. Cocktail bitters have been fun to experiment with and Bittermens Hopped Grapefruit Bitters added the extra little pop of refreshing bitterness which also helps balance out the sweetness from the whisky and syrup.
Arctic Chill Ice Ball Makers
I was asked to do a review by Rizzi at Arctic Chill
Because of my new project for 2014, this product couldn’t have come at a better time! Everytime I have had a handcrafted cocktail with ice made especially for cocktails, the quality is superb.
Ice spheres melt a lot slower than ice cubes, due to their small surface area which means your drink stays cooler for longer and the cocktails doesn’t get diluted by quickly melting ice.
Product Name: Ice Ball Maker
Brand: Arctic Chill
Arctic Chill’s ice ball maker is made from BPA free silicone
This ice ball maker from Arctic Chill allows you to make perfect 2.5 inch ice spheres, which are guaranteed to make any drink look amazing and keep you drink cool without being diluted by melting ice.
What I liked
1) You just fit the two halves together, run water into the balls until there are full and then freeze. I did this the night before to make sure they would be ready to use the next day. You get 4 ice spheres per pack so if you are going to need more, either order another pack or make several batches and keep in the freezer in a plastic bag. This is a great idea! I like to keep about 8 on hand.
2) Using the ice balls does help create a quality cocktail equaling the perfectly made cocktail of any establishment around!
What needs a bit of improvement:
One of the spheres leaked and I couldn’t use it. It never would fit together tight enough. Rizzi assured me that this happens in less than 0.5% and what they do is replace the defective unit with a 2 pack completely free of charge. You don’t have to send the item back too.
5 stars! Even though one of the spheres had issues, it was replaced immediately.
They freeze perfectly and are great for all types of cocktails and fit perfectly in a variety of cocktail glasses!
Just pop extras in a bag a freeze them for later!
- 1.5 oz George Dickel Tennessee Whisky
- 2t to 1 T Ginger Syrup
- 2-3 drops Bittermens Hopped Grapefruit Bitters
- Juice from several fresh Ruby Red Grapefruits keeping the pulp, if desired
- Slice of Grapefruit for each cocktail
- Old-fashioned Glasses
- One Arctic Ice Ball per cocktail
- Ginger Syrup: In small saucepan,combine 1 cup sugar & 1 cup water over med heat
- Add several coins of freshly cut ginger ( I used 5 quarter-sized coins)
- Bring to boil and reduce heat & simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Set aside and cool.
- Keep refrigerated in container up to 14 days.
- Put a thin slice of grapefruit in glass & hold against the wall of the glass.
- Place the Arctic Ice Ball in glass against the slice.
- Pour in bitters, whisky & top with grapefruit juice around ¼-1/2 cup per glass or to taste