Celebrate Mother’s Day with a Summer Berry & Lavender-Ginger Fizz Cocktail made with Vikingfjord Citrus Vodka Paired with Warm Chocolate Almond Croissants
Summer Berry and Lavender-Ginger Fizz is my special cocktail for a Mother’s Day treat. Enjoy juicy, fresh blackberries and blueberries, homemade Lavender & Ginger Syrup with Vikingfjord Lemon Infused Vodka topped off with fizzy mineral water for a refreshing afternoon of celebration. Pair this with homemade croissants stuffed with warm chocolate and almond filling and enjoy your day!
Here’s to being a mom! My greatest accomplishment yet!
This year, I am celebrating Mother’s Day in the Texas Hill Country. I have been a lucky mom to have experienced living this unique Texas Hill Country lifestyle and all the natural beauty it has to offer. My life has been anything but traditional so I choose to celebrate untraditional. For Mother’s Day, I opt for warm Texas Hill Country breezes on a picnic blanket underneath the big blue Texas sky rather than a crowded restaurant elbow to elbow with tables full diners for a Mother’s Day brunch. The amazing wild flowers are still filling the air with perfume and one of my favorites is lavender. Lavender grows well in Texas because it loves full sun and tolerates the dry conditions so common in Texas. Not only does it give us the gift of its pleasant earthy floral and herbaceous aromas it also can be used to flavor savory and sweet foods.
The homemade Lavender-Ginger Syrup (recipe at bottom of page) is a perfect balance to the cocktail enhancing the freshness of the berries and a perfect accompaniment to the crisp and clean flavors of the vodka.I wanted to capture the essence of the beautiful Texas Hill Country with this cocktail and using Texas Lavender dried flower buds was a great way to do that. I also used Topo Chico Sparkling Mineral Water which also adds a bit of the local Austin unique flavor experience!
Have you experienced Vikingfjord Citrus Vodka yet?
This Norwegian Vodka is created from the pristine waters of the Jostedal Glacier in Norway and is filtered to eliminate anything but fresh, clean, neutral flavors. The clean,crisp flavor of this vodka with the hint of fresh lemon peel was perfect for this cocktail. Check out the website to find out more about this vodka and where you can get it.
It was especially divine when I sipped on a chilled glass after dinner. It was like sipping on cool, pure, clean, heavy water with a fresh lemon twist. Be sure to grab an extra bottle for the refrigerator for perfect ending to a special dinner!
So, I didn’t start out planning to pair anything with this cocktail; as far as I’m concerned it pairs with everything! But, I found this amazingly delicious and easy croissant recipe and not only did I find that this would be a wonderful Mother’s Day treat with its warm,rich chocolate and almond filling in flaky puff pastry, I also discovered that it was a perfect pairing!
Fresh dark and juicy summer berries are a perfect pairing with dark chocolate and flaky pastry. So mom gets a extra special treat. Check out Daphne Oz’s Kid-Friendly Croissant Recipe and let the kids make mom something special for mom! I LOVE this recipe. I am NOT a baker so this was perfect for me. They are scrumptious treat for brunch,breakfast or dessert for the whole family to enjoy!
- 2 oz Vikingfjord Citrus Vodka
- 2 T dried lavender
- 4 to 5 slices of Fresh Ginger, quarter-sized
- 1 to 2 t Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 cups white Organic Cane Sugar
- 1-1/2 cups of water
- 4 to 5 Blackberries and Blueberries per cocktail
- Extra for garnish
- Chilled Mineral Water, I used Topo Chico
- Cracked Ice
- Lemon Wheels for garnish
- For the syrup: (Make ahead and store in refrigerator)
- Add sugar,water,ginger and lavender to a saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn off heat and let cool completely while lavender and ginger are steeping.
- Once cooled,strain into one or two mason jars.
- Will keep in refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
- For the cocktail:
- In a cocktail shaker,add 1& ½ to 2 teaspoons of syrup,berries,lemon juice. Muddle.
- Add Vikingfjord Vodka, 4 or 5 pieces of ice,close lid and shake.
- Adjust sweetness with more or less syrup and tanginess with the lemon juice
- Add ice and a few more whole berries to a mason jar.
- Pour cocktail over ice and berries and top with a splash of fizzy mineral water.