May is the month of celebrations!
I bet that you can find many reasons to celebrate every weekend in May! Cinco De Mayo, The Derby, Mother’s Day and Springtime. Steak on the grill with a great bottle of red wine is my way of celebrating! Here is another favorite wine pairing with Thorny Rose Red Blend 2011 from the Columbia Valley in Washington.
Thorny Rose Red Blend is blend of the structured Cabernet and soft Merlot.
Washington State wines have always intrigued me and here is why. Washington shares the same latitude with the Bordeaux and Burgundy wine regions of France. This area of the Northwest is able to produce quality wines from the same grapes as France and has a knack for producing amazing blends. Because of the arid climate called the rain shadow effect and ripeness being influenced by longer daylight hours during the growing season, the result is fully ripe,lush wines with good acidity,complexity and pleasant fruit aromas. Washington State wines are amazing food-friendly and crowd pleasing wines that are especially fun for wine and food pairings. This red blend is reminiscent of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot blends of the left bank Bordeaux region of France.
Thorny Rose Blend 2011 is under $15. This is a great price for such a complex and food-friendly wine. Check the website to see where you can get it in your area for the
I am always on the search for new recipes for grilled steaks. I was inspired by the recipe that was provided by my friends at the marketing agency to pair with Thorny Rose Red Blend 2011. By adding a few ingredients, I put my own touch to it and I just know you will enjoy it too!
Thorny Rose’s Red Blend is full of lush black and red berry flavors and aromas of juicy cherry,raspberry,ripe blackberry ,roasted green pepper and warm spice. A great balance of acidity also makes it a great food pairing wine with this recipe. A hint of smoky vanilla from oak aging pairs well with the flavors imparted by the mesquite charcoal I used to grill the steaks.
The glaze is this recipe paired well with this steak and wine. It is complex in flavors (like the wine) with tangy rice wine vinegar, juicy fresh orange and pineapple juice,honey and freshly grated earthy ginger added spicy exotic and citrus flavors. The soy sauce in the glaze added a meaty and smoky depth. I couldn’t help but add the intense and spicy ground chili paste Sambal Oelek for another dimension of flavor along with fresh spicy green Serrano peppers.
Diced and chopped carrots and sliced shallots add an earthy sweetness and unique flavor as well texture and vibrant color. The original recipe called for hangar steak but I used Flat Iron steak and tossed a Flank steak on the grill as well.
Check out the recipe and you might just be in the mood for a celebration tonight!
Smoky and charred long green onions and cherry tomatoes were a fabulous side dish in addition to the flavor and eye appeal to the pairing.
- Marinade Ingredients:
- 2 T Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 T Roasted Garlic Oil or Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced if not using Roasted Garlic Oil
- 2 T Ginger,freshly grated
- 1 T Honey
- A dash of salt and pepper
- 2 pounds of Hanger, Flat Iron or Flank Steak
- Glaze Ingredients:
- 4 large shallots, sliced into rings
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 2 cloves of garlic,chopped if not using the flavored oil
- 2 T Olive Oil or Roasted Garlic Oil
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce
- 1 T Honey
- 3 T Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 T Fresh Ginger,grated
- 1 Serrano Chili,seeded and sliced
- Juice from one Orange
- Juice from one Lime
- 1T Pineapple juice (I used juice from concentrate right out of the can w/o dilution)
- 1 T Ground Chili Paste
- Place meat in a gallon plastic bag.
- Mix Marinade ingredients together and pour over meat in bag and seal.
- Marinate 30 minutes up to 4 hours.
- Prepare a hot grill with your favorite charcoal.
- I used mesquite to impart a wonderfully smoky flavor to the meat.
- Remove the meat from the marinade.
- Season to taste and grill over hot coals to medium rare.
- Let meat rest and then slice diagonally.
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze.
- Saute the carrots,shallots,Serrano pepper and garlic in the oil until slightly brown then add the ginger.
- While heat is on medium,add soy sauce,rice wine vinegar,juices,honey,chili paste
- Reduce until slightly thickened.
- Ladle glaze over meat and serve.