Lemons, Olive Oil, Herbs and Feta rock this chicken dish!
Anytime you combine chicken thighs with lemon, olive oil, Mediterranean herbs and salty feta cheese well……it’s a match made in heaven. This chicken dish is so versatile! It’s over the top in flavor, great for entertaining and perfect for a weeknight family meal.
Placing the chicken thighs on top of the other ingredients and roasting at a medium (not high) gives them a chance to become crispy and bronzed while the chicken remains succulent and juicy. The juices at the bottom of the pan are ample and mouthwatering with the classic Mediterranean flavors of tangy lemon, savory olive oil, herbs and spices. And, when the feta is added it releasing it’s flavors without breaking down too much and just begs for warm, crusty bread for soaking up these juices.
A minerally, lively Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc which would be a perfect pairing with the lemon in this dish.
- 8 to 10 chicken thighs with skin and bone
- ½ cup olive oil, divided plus more for drizzling
- 1 T dried oregano
- ½ T dried thyme
- 2-3 T chopped fresh garlic
- ½ purple onion, sliced
- 2 or 3 lemons, sliced in half
- Juice from another lemon
- 1 small bag (1.5 lbs) medley of mini-potatoes *I bought a bag w purple white mini-round potatoes
- Boiled, cooled and cut in half
- ½ cup pitted, drained Castelvetrano Green Olives
- I also used Lawry's Lemon Pepper and Seasoned Garlic Salt
- Feta Cheese block, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large pan, add, toss: cooked/sliced potatoes, garlic, purple onions, olives,s/p, lemons cut in half, lemon juice, at least ¼ cup olive oil or more, feta cheese cubes, most of the oregano, thyme
- Distribute evenly at the bottom of a large pan.
- In a bowl, add thighs and toss in ¼ cup (at least) olive oil, s/p/, oregano, thyme s/p, lemon and garlic seasoning
- Place seasoned thighs on top of the veggies, pushing them in gently but not all the way to the bottom
- Drizzle more olive oil and a bit more lemon pepper
- Roast in oven 45 min to 1 hour or until the thighs are crispy and browned on top as well as the potatoes and lemons.
- Squeeze caramelized lemons generously over the thighs and veggies
- Serve with crusty bread to soak up the outrageously delicious juices formed
- Serving size: 2 thighs plus veggies and feta distributed evenly among bowls or plates