Local, original and most of all, tasty and delicious! Just in time for your Southern-inspired holiday meals!
Southern City Flavors have soooo many unique all-natural products that are inspired by the flavors of the South! Here a just a few of the tasty sauces, jams, butter and BBQ sauces. Southern City Flavors is a family-owned local business based out of Franklin, Tennessee.
Family is where it all began. The collaboration of recipes from friends, family and traditions that have been passed throughout the years and the Weeks family Southern City Flavors Company was created.
Add new and exciting flavors…..
One of my all time favorite tastes of the south are figs! Just Wait until taste the all-natural in a non-traditonal and unique pasta dish!
Southern City Flavors are of course the perfect match with traditional Southern recipes but will enhance any of you global dishes such as the Spanish-inspired Pasta Chicken dish (recipe below) that was amazing with the Fig Jam!
Fig Jam: This jam is loaded with figs and would be delicious over warm pumpkin bread, served with a blue cheese and fig crostini with balsamic fig glaze or in my Spanish-Inspired Pasta with Figs.
Bourbon Bacon Grilling Sauce : Brush over steaks or burgers and a great touch for smoked or grilled chicken wings
Sweet Potato Butter : Warm buttery biscuits can be slathered with sweet tangy butter and spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg for breakfast or dinner.
Cranberry Chipotle Sauce : Tart sweet cranberries with a hint of heat from Chipotle can be brushed over roasted cornish hens with seasoned with thyme and sage or a traditional roasted turkey breast for a delightful holiday dinner.
Spicy Pineapple Rum Sauce Tangy, sweet heat with with tropical flavors from pineapple and rum would be great for a ham or pork roast glaze.
Stone Ground Grits: As you know, grits are just perfect for a holiday breakfast or brunch or stir in your favorite cheese (such as my favorite local goat cheese) for a real treat and top with spicy seasoned shrimp for a delicious Shrimp and Grits real southern treat!
Follow the links to Southern City Flavors Recipes for all the products!
Spanish-Inspired Pasta with Fig Jam and Roasted Chicken Thighs
(Printable recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds skin on, bone-in chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- ½ small tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Madeira *splash in more if you would like!
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ***Southern City Flavors Fig Jam, 2T*****
- ½ cup dried figs, stemmed and chopped
- 8 ounces dried tagliatelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated nutty, aged Manchego cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- ¼ cup marcona almonds, chopped
- Shaved Manchego cheese, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Season the chicken thighs with salt & pepper.
- Add the carrot, onion and celery to the casserole and cook over moderate heat
- Stir occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and cook until it breaks down and is lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Madeira and cook until evaporated
- Then add the chicken stock, Southern City Flavors Fig Jam & garlic.
- Arrange the seasoned chicken thighs and nestle into the sauce.
- Roast in oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Add more broth if the sauce gets to dry.
- The chicken should be browned and crispy on top.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate to cool.
- Separate the crispy chicken skin from the thighs and slice.
- Shred the meat; discard the bones.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl, pressing on the solids.
- Return the liquid to the casserole and bring to a boil. Simmer briskly until thickened to a saucy consistency, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the butter, shredded chicken,crispy skin and figs and cook just to warm through.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente.
- Drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Add the pasta and reserved pasta water to the casserole and toss. Remove from the heat and stir in the grated Manchego. Serve in bowls topped with the almonds and Manchego shavings.